Calvary Pentecostal Church (now Real Hope Christian Assembly) officially opened in January of 1962, but the seeds were planted back in 1954 when a tall, blonde young man arrived in the village of Chalk River to teach school.  David Mainse soon saw the need for an evangelical outreach in the area.  In the spring of 1955,  David rented the Orange Hall and Sunday School was started.   After tent meetings in August 1955, others began to find the Lord as their Saviour and attendance began to grow.

     David Mainse left for Bible College (Peterborough) in October of 1955, and several pastors kept the work going for awhile. Joyce Bombay continued to come from Pembroke each Sunday afternoon for the Sunday School.   Finally the little group was closed down.

     But God had begun a ministry in this area.  The seeds were planted and, in His time, they began to grow.  People began writing letters asking for help to get a permanent church established here.  God again laid the burden of this area on David Mainse's heart, and the district executive was interested in building a church here - in Deep River rather than Chalk River.

The Early Days

     Property was purchased and the church was built at half cost because of volunteer labour.  There were only three or four interested families living the Deep River,  but three more families moved here to help this new work.  They were Dan and Elaine Maves,  Bill and Stasia Pennock, and Tom and Betty Charbonneau.  Bruce Bowes was the first baby born in the church family; two other babies were soon born, filling up the nursery very quickly.
 
      By September 1962, Calvary Pentecostal Church was in full operation.  Sunday School started on the very first day and a bus ministry to Deux Rivieres picked up children and adults every Sunday morning.  David Mainse's  TV programme began here in Deep River and followed him where ever he went down through the years.

The Growing-up Years

     From 1964 to 1968, the church was led by Rev. Jack and Donna McLaughlin, and then Rev. Bert & Shirley Liira. In 1969, Rev. David Strome became the new pastor and the noisy stacking chairs in the sanctuary were replaced with pews.

     Rev. and Mrs. David Quigley came to pastor in 1971.  The available Sunday School space grew when the Quigley's purchased their own home.  Up until then, the pastors' families had lived in the basement of the church. 

     In 1976, the call was extended to Rev. and Mrs. Kenneth Comber.  During his ministry, many renovations and improvements were made to the building, and the mortgage was burned.  Bro. Comber became a popular columnist in the North Renfrew Times with his weekly column "Breakthrough."  

     Rev. Robert and Gale Senechal took over the pastorate in September 1983. With the mortgage paid for,  a building program was started in the hopes of future growth.

Today

     Pastor Rick and Joyce Lott served with us for 16 years, from 1993 - 2009.  During their time here a new church was build on the Highway  and we changed our name to Real Hope Christian Assembly.    Pastor John Lankin and his wife, Pastor Laura,  served with us from July 2009 until March 2012. We enjoyed having a young family around once again and welcoming their fourth child, Anna, while they were here.
  
   In November of 2012, Pastor Gary Burt and his wife, Joy, joined us for our next chapter.  Both were a tremendous blessing to us as they lead with love, compassion and wisdom. 
Nine years later, in November 2021, Pastor Gary and Joy embarked on their next chapter.

‚Äč   After 19 months of being blessed by the interim ministry of  Pastor David Tubby and his wife, Marie, Pastor David Black, and his wife, Joanna, said "yes" to the Lord's leading and "yes" to Real Hope. Pastor David began ministry at Real Hope in June 2023 and he and Joanna became Deep Riverites later in August when they moved.

    Over the years, many have experienced the touch of God in their lives.  Many have been saved and healed, and many have gone on to serve the Lord in full-time ministry. 
  
     Real Hope Christian Assembly has witnessed much fruit for the Lord here in Deep River.  Many of the church's family are now scattered far and wide because of the transient nature of the Petawawa base and CNL (formerly AECL). These have become a further blessing to the Kingdom in their new homes.  For this reason this church was once named, "God's Little Training Ground." 
      
     "Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."   I Corinthians 15: 58.